Thursday 27 May 2010

Treasured memories



WHEN I was small, my late grandfather bought me a book he insisted I read. It was a book he'd loved all his life and he wanted to share it with his young grandson. He was nearing 80 when he gave me it as a present one Christmas. I don't think he was much of a reader but clearly this book had made enough of an impression on him to want to pass it on to another generation.

That Christmas morning - I think it was 1975, so I would have been seven - I eagerly tore off the wrapping paper to reveal the book in its glossy dust jacket showing a pirate and a ship in the distance.

The book was Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island.

Is it a children's book? I don't know, but what I do know is that I devoured it, swept away on Stevenson's magical storytelling. I was scared witless by Blind Pugh, the Black Spot and the sense of anxiety created in anticipation of Long John Silver. For those few hours I was reading, I was Jim Hawkins.

My admiration for Stevenson's storytelling genius and my love of that book have not dimmed over the years and I've re-read it at least twice. I still have that copy, now minus its dust jacket and looking as if it's been stuck for years at the bottom of a long-forgotten treasure chest, but it is still one of my most prized possessions.
It's a lovely connection with my grandfather, who died in 1978 aged 82, and one day I intend introducing it to my own children.

My daughter and I are working our way through the works of Michael Morpurgo (our current favourite author) and I was thrilled to discover that he was influenced at an early age by Stevenson and Treasure Island.

What an amazing book that it still continues to weave its magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment